We are grateful to Jonathan Nicholson, Creative Director of Scottish Borders Website Design, for curating and assembling what is a quite complicated website. His creativity and patience in answering a host of questions have been exemplary. Special thanks are due to the National Lottery’s Community Fund for providing the finance which covered most of the costs.
With a new calendar and other enhancements to the booking process, reservation requests and inquiries have become much easier. Information concerning anti-Covid precautions is regularly updated, as government mandates change and we gradually move out of lockdown.
These webpages also aim to celebrate the history of the Village Hall and indeed of St Boswells in general. The hall has been at the centre of village life since 1896, serving the community in many and various ways. To that end, we are hosting a section for our Community Council. Further, you’ll find a lot of archival material in the History and Pictures & Memories sections. Take a tour!
The image included above is of the junction of Jenny Moore’s Road and Main Street, before the hall was built. (Who knocked over that chair?) A lot of water has flowed down the Tweed since then. A major new ripple occurred earlier this year, when the hall moved from the old system of management by trustees (established in 1896) to a new-style Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (a SCIO) under the auspices of the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR). The archives are provided for the entertainment and information of the people of St Boswells, and beyond. If anyone has further material that might be included, please contact the Committee Secretary.