October 31, 2013 by stboswellsvillagehall
Many important decisions have to be made during the planning phase of a refurbishment project like the St Boswells Village Hall. The upper hall – know as the Band Room – has been the subject of much discussion and anyone who has been in this room in the past will find it much changed when the refurbishment is completed in 2014.
The stairs as you enter the Hall by the side door will no longer be a feature of the Hall as they make way for the new, improved lobby area. Instead there will be a new set of covered stairs on the other side of the Hall outside the building. This will lead up to a new, insulated and level Upper Hall with toilet and small kitchen area.
The first Climate Challenge Card – “Using Energy at Home” is ready for distribution in November. Look out for those with the Church Newsletter and in the shops in the Village. Turn that heating down and put on an extra jumper – winter is on the way and we will be cosy!
At the Village Hall during October 2013:-
- Building Warrant submitted and being processed
- Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition Survey completed – the hall is “clean”
- Cost check meeting held with Design Team
- Contractors tender list approved
- Tender documents completed and sent out to six contractors to get competitive tenders; tender return date is 18 November 2013
- Decision agreed to close the hall completely from 6 January 2014 to 16 May 2014
- Overall progress has slipped slightly from the original programme, but the intention is to review tenders during week commencing 25 November so as to appoint a contractor in early December ready for an effective site start immediately after the Christmas / New Year break. This means we can get the full use of the hall (and associated income) over the Festive period and the contractor can place orders for materials and components – especially windows before the break. At this stage we are confident that the first tranche of CCF work can be claimed by the end of March 2014.